Cloves (long) can be used in cooking either whole or in a ground form, but as they are extremely strong, they are used sparingly. Cloves have the following health benefits.
- Cloves promote Digestive Enzymes Secretions and boost digestive functioning and enhance digestion and absorption of food.
- They are used in various forms of gastric-irritability and dyspepsia (impaired digestion)
- Licking the powder of fried cloves mixed with honey is effective in controlling vomiting.
- Chewing a clove with a crystal of common salt eases expectoration (the process of coughing up and spitting out),
- relieves the irritation in the throat and stops a cough in the pharyngitis - that is, inflammation of the pharynx.
- Clove is an effective remedy for asthma.
- A teaspoon of decoction prepared by boiling 6 cloves in 30 ml of water can be taken with honey thrice daily as an expectorant.
- The use of a clove in toothache decreases pain.
- It also helps to decrease infection due to its antiseptic properties