Note:This article is written for healthcare providers, please do not follow the treatment given in this article without the supervision of a qualified healthcare provider, as it may be associated with serious health-related adverse effects, may result in temporary or permanent disability.
Termination of an unwanted early pregnancy or abortion with the help of medicines is possible. Termination of early pregnancy or abortion with the help of medicine is found to be successful in most of the cases of unwanted pregnancies. But induced medical abortion is not considered ethical rather it is considered as sinful act according to various religious beliefs and literature. It is strongly recommended that do not use these abortion methods without the supervision of a qualified medical practitioner.
There are various methods of termination of early pregnancy and abortion with the help of medicine. We will talk about three methods here.
Medicines Used for termination of early pregnancy and abortion.Following medicines can be used for medical abortion.
1st Method, If Mifepristone is Available:If mifepristone is available in the market and women has a pregnancy of fewer than two months then she can adopt the following method.
- Take a 200mg tablet of mifepristone orally as a single dose.
- Then insert 800 µg of misoprostol vaginal tablet inside the vagina 7-8 hours after taking the mifepristone tablet. The misoprostol is equally effective when inserted within 72 hours after taking mifepristone.
- If a woman doesn’t want to use the vaginal tablet of misoprostol then she can take 400µg of misoprostol orally 2 days after taking mifepristone.
- A woman can also put a single dose of misoprostol 800µg below her tongue 2 days after taking mifepristone. But it is associated with severe side effects and this route is not preferred.
2nd Method, If Mifepristone is not available.If mifepristone is not available then methotrexate can also be used for abortion.
- The dose of methotrexate is 50mg per meter squared body surface area. It is equally effective when taken orally or administered with the help of an injection into the muscle. After three to seven days of taking methotrexate, insert the 800µg capsule of misoprostol inside your vagina. If the fetus is not expelled then repeat the dose of 800µg intra-vaginal misoprostol.
3rd Method, If Methotrexate is also not available.If Methotrexate is also absent from the market or you don’t have access to it then you can insert 800µg of misoprostol inside your vagina every 24 hours. But don’t use it more than 3 times. This method is less effective and should be used for termination of early pregnancy when other drugs are not available.
Precautions of medical abortion.
- If pregnancy continues after you have tried the above method then go to the doctor for surgical evacuation (dilation and evacuation)
- If abortion is incomplete and part of fetus can’t come out then again you have to see the doctor.
- Follow the doctor’s advice and visit him when he asks you to do so.
- Learn about the effective contraception methods according to your age and fitness, and start using contraception after abortion.